A year in Nagasaki

A desription of my final preparations during august and the fun time in Amsterdam during that time up to my year at the university of Nagasaki from the 1st october 2005 thru august 2006. Together with 9 other students from the University of Leiden, Holland, we are on an extra-curricular year to improve our conversational skills. Will it work ??

Monday, October 24

Nagasaki gay scene

During this weekend of regular chores (laundry, cleaning and going to a flea market with Alexandra ... not that there was much to buy, mind you, more old clothes for old women, cups and saucers and loads of Hello Kitty stuff) I decided to explore the Nagasaki Gay Scene (Oxymoron if there ever was one). It does exist and even though there remarkebly few people in the bars (there are three)the people in them are very nice and eager to talk to a stranger.
The first one is called "Ban Ban", close to Ohato, a tiny place on the 1st floor where Kurumi, the owner runs the show. About 48 say and a lively old queen. You can also eat there...as two out of the 4 people present (me included) did. Even met a professor from my University (other department). After this beer onto the next one (10 minutes by streetcar) in Urakami-machi, called "Gu Gu" (names are simple here!), run by Shinsuke a tough looking guy, who laughs a lot (goatee and glasses).
Some of the other people I met are Fukuda (cap the other way around) and Joe ?(with hip glasses and cap).
People don't mind if I take pictures since that is what Japanese people like to do themselves too.
Apparently Friday night is the big night out here..so I hope to go there again sometime.

N.B. The prices are steep....the first drink, whatever it is, costs 1500 yen (ca. 11 euro) and the second 600 yen (ca. 4.40 euro). You do get free fingerfood if you like and can sing to karaoke songs...but nevertheless it is not going to be a regular happening. The third bar, called Liberty, is a bar for the extremely young..i.e. 17 - 19 year olds..so I didn't even bother to go there.
One more drawback..the streetcars stop running at 23.00 hours so after that it's taxi time (or as Zoran calls it 'Public Transportation'). It's not that expensive but after a night out another 1000 yen is just to much.
Thanks for all the emails, folks. I really enjoy them eventhough I do not always respond..since my time at internet access is limited here till I get my own high speed internet connection in about 3 weeks. Mattane (See ya later in Japanese)

4 Comments:

  • At 5:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Paul,
    Well thank goodness there is a gay scene of sorts. I remeber Tokyo's scene fondly. What a hoot. Sorry I didn't get a chance to call at the weekend but will try later today.
    You should start a "photo journalism" piece on your Nagasaki stay. Yet another of your talents is coming to the fore!!
    Must be off. Nurses to recruit!!
    Cheers
    Chris

     
  • At 5:30 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    But, darling...what exactly is the "streetcar"? What do people do with it?...And naughty you are...now I do not know where the cradlesnatcher (moi) should go...hmm...17-19 you said?...

     
  • At 5:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for this post. As cruise ship worker who goes there, I find japan to be beautiful and the people to be beautiful but I was disappointed in the gay scene and uncomfortable with the lack of English compared to other ports.

     
  • At 12:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi
    I work on a cruise ship too and although I enjoyed reading your post, the places you mentioned are bars? is there anything to do for people that do not drink?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home